Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sleep

Sleep begets sleep, and exhaustion exhausts:
The more I sleep the more tired I get.
Snuggling with comfy blanket carries costs
Of excess dreams and hypersomnic fret.
I wrote the first two lines as prose and then realized that they more or less scanned, so I decided to round them off as a quatrain. I sleep too much and have endless, anxiety-laced dreams as I slip in and out of consciousness while hitting the snooze button at regular intervals. Finally I awake disoriented by the waking world. Is this healthy? No.
Why can't we sleep forever?
I just want to start this over.
("Sober," Tool)
These are mutually exclusive wishes, but it doesn't matter because the speaker is mainly interested in getting out of his current situation. I remember being very affected by that video (the one attached to the link) when I first saw it.

No comments:

Post a Comment